Shane Rooney`s year review: As we prepare to wave goodbye to 2017, it’s time to reflect on what an amazing year it was for Team Pam & Ben.
Firstly, I would like to welcome all the new people who joined during 2017, I hope you’ve been made feel welcome and know that you’re part of the team.
Whilst there were many highlights for 2017, here are just a few flashbacks.
- We learnt that Jason Blake had difficulty counting during the Dublin Masters Cross Country.
- Limerick was a Lady and the competition was fierce during the relay events, next time can we make sure that someone tells Ollie Power when to stop running. We also witnessed amazing performances, with a special shout out to Stephen Tracey, who just keeps getting faster.
- Paul O’Loughlin broke 3 hours for the marathon in Berlin and then did it again in Dublin.
- Bringing a bunch of adults to the National Indoor Arena is like herding cattle.
- The Clonolympics was a huge success, bringing the whole club together in a fun, yet surprisingly competitive, event. We found out that Carol Flood can shot putt like an Olympian and Aisling Andrews can jump like a kangaroo. Watch out for the 2018 event which promises to be bigger and better.
- The Grand Prix was a trilling whirlwind ride for Mick B, Mick G, Mel C (aka Honey C), Yvonne Mc, Siobhan D and especially the bridesmaid Deco Escobar. Expect great things during GP 2018, where we’ll be fighting to take the Top 3 places….watch out Team Maurice
- If Mel C keeps running marathons at the rate she ran them in 2017, there will soon be no more marathons to run.
- Coppers had a national night of mourning when Emer B announced she was running the marathon and wouldn’t be going out on a Saturday night!!
- The Ladies brought home the bacon with a bronze in the novice race.
- Anne “the Legend” Lyons kept winning prizes across the country.
- The trip to Budapest was a huge success; everyone just about came back alive, despite Ciara O’Regan and the author having difficulty using a zebra crossing and pedestrian lights. FYI, balance bikes will not fit into hand luggage and if it doesn’t belong to you it means you’ve robbed it!!! Question, who wears short shorts???
- The Dublin Marathon proved to be emotional and exhilarating for all those who took part. The highlight for many was seeing Aisling wearing her helmet, and the hugs from all you wonderful volunteers (sorry about the tears). Thank you to everyone who came along to the Post-Marathon Party and made it great craic. As special shout out to Evelyn Brennan who placed in the Top 3 for the Over 50s (not sure how she’s in that category as I’m sure I went to her 40th a few months ago).
- Katie Hennigan was the first winner of the 5k Golden Boot and it couldn’t have gone to a happier and more excited winner.
- Top Tip from Ben, summer bodies are made in winter….so we’ll be looking fab-u-lous come Summer 2018
- Top Tip from Pam, when ordering a birthday cake, be sure to explain the difference between a horse track and an athletics track!!!
So what’s in store for 2018?
- Can Dec go one better in the Grand Prix?
- Who is most likely to get themselves into trouble during the trip to Berlin?
- In what country will Caroline Hynes run next?
- How high will Aideen “Darby O’Gill” jump as she crosses the finish line of the Race Series Half Marathon
On a personal note, 2017 was a difficult year for some, however having “Running Friends” like you guys has made those difficult times so much easier.
Wishing you and yours a happy and safe Christmas and may all your wishes come true in 2018
Keep digging in.